Monday, July 28, 2008

Something on sensors....

So it hath arrived!

Star Trek Online has been officially unveiled by Cryptic Studios.

Bullet point time!

  • There is a quite obvious change from the Perpetual version, Klingon and Federation starting races rather than just the Federation
  • There seems to be the implication we're all going to captain our own ships.
  • Customizable ships as well as characters.
  • User generated content.
  • ... Console release.

So then. There are some good sounds coming from it. The two empires at start will please all those bloody noisy people from the old boards (I swear, if I see one serious "I want to be Borg", I will lose all reason). The Cryptic touch from City of Heroes of letting you customize everything!

Then there are the things that give me pause. I know MMOs are making a push into consoles, hell FFXI has been on them for years. I know Champions Online is doing it too. The reason I am wary is simple. Cryptic made a great game in City of Heroes in that you can pick it up for 10 minutes and feel good walking away after. Immersion is what you make it. Consoling this up ... how much of an impact will your ship really make in the universe if it's a 10 minutes here, 30 minutes there console accessible game? That may just be me being paranoid.

The only other thing that sticks out in my mind at the moment is Jack Emmerts letter to the community. Now, he may be perfectly honest and if so I am sorry for being a doubting Thomas, but why do I get the feeling if Cryptic made a game on bread mold, he'd post about what a huge lifelong fan of mold he is? That's my potshot at Jack "Forcefields are fine, lets not fix it" Emmert. I'll behave for now.

No comments: